
New Years Eve: I have had a few of them now, every decent one that I can remember has involved a pub, the beach, or both, but this year, neither of those featured.
I was in Wales for “PigCash”. Not my birth place, home town nor current dwelling place, but where I went to Uni and stumbled upon the best friend a girl could ever want to have, namely, Samantha Scott-Angell.
The picture above is of her, stood next to the rusty blue gates of where we met just over four years ago; Maes Yr Eglwys (field of the church). It was our Uni Halls, the setting for many random exploits including the scanning of body parts, sheep wrestling and the infamous lesbian fist fight (and consequential escape act).
It is now a pile of rubble.
I am 23, and had managed to get this far in life without any building that played a significant part of my life being demolished, even most of my own secondary school stays as it was when I left. I should have known that the first place to go would be where I had, without exception, the best bloody year of my life.
My room was K13… unlucky for some, although apparently 13 is my families lucky number, (my parents have always lived in a house numbered 13, or where the numbers add up to 13). I shared my kitchen, bathroom and much staggered in corridor with Sian, (Mummy Sian, who always told me off) Caroline, (Auntie Caroline, who encouraged my mischievous side) and Cheryl, (Big Sister Cheryl, who always listened to my latest calamity at three in the morning). There were only 60 of us in the whole place, although I shan’t name them all I’ll possibly get in trouble if I don’t name a few more…
Shane (who is practically married to Sian)
Scoucer (Steve… who now works in MK too)
Lesley (who will believe anything)
Rod (who probably still has a rose between his bum cheeks)
Sean (Who I was in a band with – Four Cornered Triangle)
Natalie (of course), Martin, Bridie, Rhys, Lloyd, JT, Simon, Andy, Jim, Sonia, Leanne, Louise… and not forgetting Lord Henry… :)
Anyway… we reminisced for a while about the wild nights of a crazy place that is now literally in a former time before placing our feet firmly back at the end of 2006…
So Trefforest, South Wales, was the venue for our New Years / goodbye Maes party. With little money and a large supply of red wine we giggled the dawn of 2007 into existence. We both have a bizarre love for ridiculous word games, an unfaltering love of red wine and bucket loads of love for our nonchalant partners, so I’ll leave you to imagine how our evening with “Articulate”, “things you find on holiday” and a drunken version of “Charades” panned out!
I’m now back in MK; the concrete and round-about capital of the world. It is a place that I loathe, in every sense of the word, yet am destined to stay in for at least another year and a half.
If 2007 brings me anything I hope that it is simply more of what I’ve already had; some fantastic memories, some unsurpassed friends and perhaps most importantly, many more red wine nights.
I was in Wales for “PigCash”. Not my birth place, home town nor current dwelling place, but where I went to Uni and stumbled upon the best friend a girl could ever want to have, namely, Samantha Scott-Angell.
The picture above is of her, stood next to the rusty blue gates of where we met just over four years ago; Maes Yr Eglwys (field of the church). It was our Uni Halls, the setting for many random exploits including the scanning of body parts, sheep wrestling and the infamous lesbian fist fight (and consequential escape act).
It is now a pile of rubble.
I am 23, and had managed to get this far in life without any building that played a significant part of my life being demolished, even most of my own secondary school stays as it was when I left. I should have known that the first place to go would be where I had, without exception, the best bloody year of my life.
My room was K13… unlucky for some, although apparently 13 is my families lucky number, (my parents have always lived in a house numbered 13, or where the numbers add up to 13). I shared my kitchen, bathroom and much staggered in corridor with Sian, (Mummy Sian, who always told me off) Caroline, (Auntie Caroline, who encouraged my mischievous side) and Cheryl, (Big Sister Cheryl, who always listened to my latest calamity at three in the morning). There were only 60 of us in the whole place, although I shan’t name them all I’ll possibly get in trouble if I don’t name a few more…
Shane (who is practically married to Sian)
Scoucer (Steve… who now works in MK too)
Lesley (who will believe anything)
Rod (who probably still has a rose between his bum cheeks)
Sean (Who I was in a band with – Four Cornered Triangle)
Natalie (of course), Martin, Bridie, Rhys, Lloyd, JT, Simon, Andy, Jim, Sonia, Leanne, Louise… and not forgetting Lord Henry… :)
Anyway… we reminisced for a while about the wild nights of a crazy place that is now literally in a former time before placing our feet firmly back at the end of 2006…
So Trefforest, South Wales, was the venue for our New Years / goodbye Maes party. With little money and a large supply of red wine we giggled the dawn of 2007 into existence. We both have a bizarre love for ridiculous word games, an unfaltering love of red wine and bucket loads of love for our nonchalant partners, so I’ll leave you to imagine how our evening with “Articulate”, “things you find on holiday” and a drunken version of “Charades” panned out!
I’m now back in MK; the concrete and round-about capital of the world. It is a place that I loathe, in every sense of the word, yet am destined to stay in for at least another year and a half.
If 2007 brings me anything I hope that it is simply more of what I’ve already had; some fantastic memories, some unsurpassed friends and perhaps most importantly, many more red wine nights.
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
THE MAES CLAN
2001-2002
2 comments:
Hiya, I want you to make sure you keep you blog going for at least one year. I have found it to be a really good experience, I have not even writen a diary before. I wonder what will happen in 365 days time? I think we will be in a completely different place, mentally, physically and spiritually.
Adrian
Chears Adrian, some encouraging, and to be honest guilt tripping words there. I was gonna give up already!
I'm an avid watcher of about three or four blogs - but I am not convinced I can keep going with writing one!... Right - to todays entry...
Post a Comment